Bay Area Biking
Bay Area Hiking
Places for Young Kids
Places for Older Kids
Area Back Pages* are Web pages I've created to provide information on
San Francisco Bay Area and California. My name is Ron Horii. I live in
the San Francisco Bay Area in San Jose at the southern rim of Silicon
I've done a lot of travelling,sightseeing,
hiking, biking, fishing, and camping in the Bay Area and other places
California.. I'm an avid shutterbug, and I have tons of photographs
the many places I've been to. My wife and I have raised 2 children who
are now grown up. Over the years, we've taken them to playgrounds,
theme parks, and other places. In these Web pages, I hope to share some
of my travel experiences, pictures, and advice on where to take
to keep them amused. I hope it helps people looking for things to do in
the Bay Area and California. Click on the pictures to go to that page.
The ones on the left are the biggest. Hiking and Biking are split into
many separate pages. Other pages are listed on the right. Click on the
buttons at the right to go to those pages.
* The title of this page was inspired by Bay Area Backroads, a
KRON-TV series that covered travel through the Bay Area and beyond.
Sadly, the program was canceled, so links to those programs will not
About the logo:
My new logo above contains the pictures of the following
from the left:
- Home page created 10/2/97. New layout and design using
Page: 2/7/99. Updated 3/5/99.
- "Cheap Eats With Great Views" updated 2/4/99
- Major upgrade to "The North Coast and the Redwood Empire"
relayout in the works.
- Added pictures to "What to Do With Teenagers" 1/31/99
- Minor changes to "Best Places to Take Young Children"
- Added pictures to "The Central Valley" 1/31/99
- Major cleanup and update to links on "Tech Pages: Scanning"
- "Bay Area Biking" is now the biggest section, with almost
The Los Gatos Creek Trail alone is a major photo essay, split into 5
pages. Last update 1/26/99.
- The "North Coast" section has been greatly expanded into 5
much more information and using the home page template, 2/99.
- Added link to San Francisco Web Ring 5/27/99
- 10/4/00: Bay Area Back Pages was on TV! Thanks
TechNow! If you
to KNTV's (channel 11 in San Jose)
TechNow! Website and click on the September 30, 2000 archive,
will come up to replay the show. (You need to have the Realplayer
installed on your computer.) If you move to the 23:48 time point
by moving the slider at the top, or just wait for that amount of
time, you'll see them talking about this webpage. One correction: I
in San Jose, not San Francisco, not that I'd mind living there.
- 10/4/00 - New stuff - My New Pages: I haven't been
pages on Prodigy.net, since I used up all my alotted space on Prodigy.
(Hey Prodigy, I need more space!) I've got new Web pages on Yahoo
called "Ron Horii's San Francisco Bay Recreation and Travel Pages." I
created a Web site for the Friends of Santa Teresa Park and pages on
Teresa Park itself. Lately, I've been working on guided photo
for ABAG's Bay Trail Project. You'll see these links on the right.
- 7/4/01 - made corrections, added more links to my new pages
- 7/22/01 - I found out I got more space. Thanks, Prodigy.
Now I can
these pages. I updated and added links to my California
Parks page. I fixed all the stale links in my North
Coast Parks page. The state parks Website was reorganized, causing
all my old links to give an ominous "security alert" message.
- 7/22/01 - I started a new Website called Bay
Area Parks. I plan to use it for in-depth descriptions of parks,
pictures. The first park on that page is Arastradero
Preserve in Palo Alto.
- 7/22/01 - I received a report that the backgrounds on some
of my older
pages made the text hard to read. I found this was true when I switched
my video to 16-color mode, but in 256-color mode or higher, there was
problem. If you have problems, make sure you are in 8-bit mode or
I don't know if certain video cards or monitors will still have
Let me know if you do.
- 7/25/01 - Updated and added new links to the North
Coast Links page.
- 7/28/01 - Updated, added new links and detailed
descriptions to the Best
Places to Take School-Age Children page.
- 10/09 - Yahoo killed geocities.com, so any links to
Geocities pages will not work. I migrated my Geocities pages to my new
website, rhorii.com. See the note on the Geocities migration.
- 7/24/11 - AT&T killed the Prodigy Personal Web Pages,
effectively wiping out the original site. Archives of the site can
still be found in the Internet
Archive, from May 1, 2009. This page is an attempt to re-create
this site on my personal website, rhorii.com. However, this is an old
site. I don't have time to update all the pages, so many of them will
likely have lots of stale links and some outdated information. Still,
some things never change, so there should be much relevant information
to be found here.
- 8/1/11 Updated some links on this page.
What to Do With Teens
Essay on Open Space
How Green Is My Valley
My Tech Pages
Here are some pages that I started for answering some
of friends, relatives, and co-workers.:
My New Pages
SF Bay Area Rec & Travel Page
Friends of Santa Teresa Park
Santa Teresa Park Pages
New Almaden Quicksilver County Park Association
Almaden Quicksilver Park
Edgewood County Park
Bay Trail Pages
Spring Lake, Santa Rosa
Bay Area Parks
Santa Teresa Hills